Spetsnaz Command Headquarters

Spetsnaz Command Headquarters
Spetsnaz Heroes and Command Squad for DUST 1947

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Work-In-Progress: Custodes Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought

Just a sneak peek at something that's on my painting desk right now...

Because the Custodes are an elite army of few models (my 1500-point army numbers all of 17 models!) I want to make sure they look special.  Even the humblest Custodian Guard has ornate armor and weaponry, the Wardens and Shield Captains even moreso.

So then you have the Contemptor.  It's a pretty basic plastic kit (around 12 parts total) and there's nothing about it that makes it look like a revered veteran of centuries (or even millennia!) or warfare.
I've wondered what I could do to solve this - I've seen Contemptors from other Chapters that conveyed the image of a venerated warrior.

Then I saw a picture in the Codex and it was exactly what I wanted:


And I realized it wouldn't be difficult to do at all.  I have 2 boxes of Custodian Guard and so I have a spare vexilla I'll never need.  The parts are basically just the "wings" of the standard, with the ribbons clipped off and reapplied elsewhere on the arms.

So I studied the photograph and did exactly that.  Here's what I've got:


Visually it goes so well with the other models, and because of its size the eye will be drawn to it (and probably a considerable amount of enemy fire, as well...)

I've got two more models finished on the desk - My Shield-Captain and Vexillus Praetor from the Wardens kit.  I used one of the capes from the Shield-Captain in the Guard kit to make my Praetor look even more special and impressive. 

In my next post, I'll be featuring the characters of the army, after I've completed Captain-General Trajann Valoris as well.  Three models down, only 14 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment