Spetsnaz Command Headquarters

Spetsnaz Command Headquarters
Spetsnaz Heroes and Command Squad for DUST 1947

Friday, May 8, 2015

REVIEW: CITADEL'S NEW BRUSH LINE

White Dwarf magazine issue #66 (which I was sadly unable to obtain) had a spread on the new line of brushes that Citadel was releasing.  Having seen them for myself, I thought I'd let you know what they're all about.

Apparently, they have different types of brushes for different purposes - not only the shape of the tip, but also the materials from which the bristles are made.  The line includes Layer, Base, Shade, Glaze, and Dry brushes among a few other specialty brushes like an enormous Terrain brush.

These brushes arrived at my FLGS today and I looked over each of them carefully before making a purchase.
The much-touted Artificer brush was either poorly packed or not as good as they say - because it had one wild stray bristle, making it useless for the fine detail it's meant for.
Most of the other brushes didn't keep a good point, either - in the end, the only kinds that were satisfactory to me were the S Base, M Base and M Glaze brushes.  I looked through so many of the M Layer brushes trying to find one with a good point, I eventually realized that even if I did, they were obviously bad brushes all around.

The bristles seem like a natural bristle but obviously not quality sable.  Honestly, they seem like the same old brushes as last go-round, only with new names and new handles.

I welcome you to check them out for yourself and see if they are satisfactory to your purposes, but aside from the three brushes I mentioned above, none were good enough to merit a purchase.  As others have mentioned, for the price you are better off with Winsor & Newton, or perhaps Rosemary & Co. for good sable brushes.

The quest to find satisfactory sable brushes locally continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment